Friday, December 11, 2009

You are What you Eat!

Old Skool-New Skool Series (Article 2)
Your choice of army defines you


I have always been an odd little boy (and yes I was pretty small when compared to my peers as I was growing up. It was only through the no-scientific basis myth of post-circumcision growth spurts that I have grown to the stud of a man I am now… but that’s another story.)

Where was I? Oh yes. I have always been an odd little boy, choosing the road less traveled over the proverbial path of least resistance. I, for example, stuck with the Go-Bots well after I started watching, and loving, the Transformers as rented from the commonplace illegal betamax rental store. I took up baseball while everyone else was avidly playing soccer. I was reading Harper Lee and J.D. Salinger when everyone else was reading “Choose Your Own Adventure”. I… well I’m sure you get my point.

In true ManongGuard form, my army choices have always been odd and a tad more challenging than they have to be. I have been known to field the following 40K weird armies:



1. Assaulty Tau (with no Kroot) – Might not be fluffy but hellalotafun
2. Orange Speed Freeks with a Warboss on Trike and a Basilisk on a Buggy
3. Night Lords when no one else was playing Night Lords… weird looking Defiler called Hydro-cephalloid
4. Thousand Sons crap army
5. and now Iyanden Eldar



This brings me to my longest planned, never delivered army – The Salamanders.

I love this game. I love how hundreds of people fire up their neurons to deliver the ever-changing 40K rules BUT if there is one thing that I love most in 40K, it is the richness of the story. While I will not claim to be an expert in 40K canon (that’s why I have my three trusted buddies to educate me on fluff – Kyuzo, Salubri, and Balian – who are, [could it be?] possibly nerdier that I am), I try to read up as much as I can on armies before I commit to them. I came across the Salamanders (as I did with the Night Lords and Thousand Sons) in one of the old Index Astartes offerings. I read the fluff and liked them immediately. They had almost as much flavor as my favorite loyalists of all-time, the Iron Hands (too bad I do not like black and silver armies), they had challenges that you had to conquer (they used to be I3 marines) and some nice toys as well (Fury of the Salamander, Never Give Up, and that funky Armor you can put on your tanks). They were far from the powerhouses they are now.

I love playing against people with the same philosophy. My game against Beefcake’s Stealers army, for example, while ending in a draw, was memorable as hell. Some other examples are Salubri’s way gay BA Barakus army, Arvin’s lethal Oblits and Heavy galore Iron Warriors, Ricky’s viper-ridden Saim-Hann and Lito’s never-changing SoBs.

So what is my point? I would suggest you get to know your armies, not just rules-wise, but in terms of fluff as well. If you decide to field canonical armies (ones that do have mention in original 40K material), then try to read up on them and field lists that at least approximate what they are supposed to be. I promise you that you will have a richer experience when playing with and against such armies. Challenge yourself. What separates Warhammer from other TCGs and CCGs is that it should not only be about winning.

If you don’t want to bother, then make up your own chapter/craftworld/horde/klan/etc, please. On that note, I leave you with the following message: VULKAN HE’STAN is not a LUNA WOLF! – bang bang Jessie! Peace!

For more pictures of my Iyanden Eldar Serpents, please visit my blog.

11 comments:

Salubri said...

well done man. especially with the runes. now you make me feel ashamed for rushing my eldar "purontong" color scheme. :P

ot: if the nerdy list is in specific order i'm glad i'm in the middle. lol

Balian the Blacksmith said...

on the nerdy list - you got the order right :D

and vulcan hestan is so in demand nowadays - all the other chapters get his services :P

ManongGuard said...

@Salubri: no where near the runes painted on your eldar wraithlord's head. But thanks.

@Balian: Doncha just hate Hestan? BTW, I would've included you coz you play fluff... but then again your marines transform into various codices. Hehehe.

Balian the Blacksmith said...

@ manongguard - I am rewriting the fluff on the Steel Falcons, so wait and see... but don't hold your breath on it. :D

The original fluff I wrote for a magazine isnt true anymore... even the colour scheme has changed over the years. Plan is once I complete painting the figs I used for the GT, I will post pics along with the re-write on the background story... and then just add on as other painted figs come along. That's the plan... like I said, not worth holding your breath on.

To give you an idea what I have accomplished after the GT - last night I was supposed to paint the nids from the Space Hulk set I have... but I ended up not doing anything... realized I didnt have any idea how to go about painting a tyranid fig. Research muna:P

ManongGuard said...

@Balian: Hahaha on the nids.

I remember you did write something for Scrye or whatever that magazine was. Glory days of warhammer. May interview pa pagkatapos ng GT.

wboy said...

nice serpents :P

hahaha oo nga in demand si vulkan he'stan. yeah i think thats the reason i don't like using special characters, i play ultramarines and my special characters are overpriced and relatively useless :)

although i'd like to use marneus calgar one day. even if he costs 265 points o_o

ManongGuard said...

@wboy: I commend you for not succumbing to the cross-over temptation. I like Telion, though and I seriously feel he is worth the point cost. Marneus Calgar looks like an ass to me. Hahaha.

wboy said...

yeah telion is pretty good :P i forgot about him! magamit nga next time. haha

Balian the Blacksmith said...

manongguard, na offend daw si jessie sa sinabi mo about vulcan hestan being in luna wolves... he gave it another name,and used vulcan hestan's rules :D

kinda like what I did, pero sa kin mas malaking "counts as"... sa kin kasi buong army... steel falcons counts as ravenwing :D

ManongGuard said...

A talaga? Issue nanaman ba yan? Tell him he can contact me anytime.

He's not unique in fielding special characters across other Legios. I just thought that he would understand what I want to say. In any case, my opinion, while not counting for much, stays as it is.

No harm meant.

Balian the Blacksmith said...

no offense taken din daw after talking to Jessie... bagong gising kasi nung nabasa :P