Saturday, November 03, 2007

HGR Journal Entry No. 033 - November Gaming...

Date : November 2, 2007
Venue : Pitshop/Pet Stop
Attendees : Adrian, Henri, Byron, Kyuzo, Midnight, Balian, Sigismund, Doc Lance, Mang, Pat

Games Played : Warhammer 40k, Warmachine/Hordes

Highlights :

Finally, some 40k games played after a long drought...

Came unprepared for it too, considering I was fresh out of the All Souls' Day madness. Met up with Balian and Midnight. Brought along whatever CSM models I got and hopefully I can whip up a list using the new CSM army list.

Had a good representation of Regulars. My game against Balian's Dark Angels was an interesting one, given the fact that I had to make some adjustments to my Emperor's Children list. No more siren-DP, no daemonic strength AC's, no blastmaster havocs, and to top it all off, no daemonettes! Argh. It was uphill from Turn 1. But it was fun. Can't wait for the new codex to come out as well as hopefully, my daemonettes will come back. Sigh.

Most those who went with me finished early, wanting to get a quick dinner before going home. It was a holiday and most of us were on Cinderella time. We left, with Sigismund still "educating" Byron using a virtually defunct Iron Warriors list, with the onset of the new CSM codex.

Salubri joined up shortly after that since dinner was near his house. The usual talks ensued with a few questions cropping up from both game systems for future clarification. Will post those at a later time.

Midnight report
It's been too long since I last used my space wolves and so when I heard about the games at pitshop, I just had to bring em out again for a ride.

Balian deployed most his troops as separate squads across the entire length of the table. Looking at all the plasma cannons and missile launchers on the other side, I had some serious doubts about getting to the other side. Good thing we ended up with recon and alpha level which meant we were only counting scoring units!

I got second turn and was extremely lucky that my tanks survived the Balian's shooting. We zoomed towards my left flank and waited for the next round of shooting. I could see his assault squad closing in on my hapless scouts - and knew these guys wouldn't last long. I just gambled that in moving the assault squad forward, my speeders may just be able to whittle them down later in the game. What a gambit - leaving my right flank with just the scouts and speeders to defend it. I kept reasoning to myself, if he takes out the scouts, I'll try to shoot him for 2 turns then run away to the other side.

Turn 4-5, my vindicator and 1 predator were dead as well as my scouts on the right flank. Luckily my come-from-behind scouts were able to tie up his units on the left flank (before saying hello to the Emperor!). Big bash on the left flank - SW HQs going up against DA elite squads. Fortunately my I5 boys were able to kill off the DA defenders. Speeders get away from the assault squads and run to the opposite side on the left flank.

Turn 6 was a mad dash for touchdowns! Balian was able to get 5 squads to my side on his last turn. But last minute shooting from my speeders was pretty lucky having managed to whittle down 1 squad to less than half. Final score SW 6 scoring units (3 troops, 2 speeder squads, and 1 predator) vs. 4 DA scoring units.

No comments: